Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Something Said Sweet

I just posted a few days ago about the stupid things people say, and have read about a few more in just the last few hours. Therefore, I thought it might be appropriate to tell a story about something very sweet that has been said.

My dad went to lunch with our pastor and told him about our infertility woes.

The first thing out of his mouth was, "We'll make Alison a mother. If we have to we'll fly to {former Soviet state in which he has tons of contacts including se at an orphanage} and pick her up a baby. {Orphanage contact's name} could find her a baby, I'm sure. We can be over there and back next week."

Now, really, if we adopt, I'm sure we'll go through the normal red tape. But the sentiment behind my pastor's words were incredibly meaningful. It wasn't the typical pity or "pray more" or "have more faith" type reaction one might expect, my pastor isn't really the patronizing kind.

The love behind those words was genuine. And Daddy said my pastor meant it - he was only about half being facetious.

When those evil, ugly "maybe I'm not meant to be a Mommy" thoughts creep in, it's words like these and hope that keep me going. Some days "keeping the faith" is hard and I feel like my prayers are just floating to the ceiling. I know that's not true and that right now I just have to wait. But it makes it a tiny, itty-bitty bit easier knowing that I have people loving me and praying for me when I just don't think I can pray any longer.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome that you have a spiritual family that cares for you so much. It sounds like your pastor thinks of you as one of his kids, which is how it should be. I'm in the middle of possibly switching congregations and miss having these kind of connections alot.

    ReplyDelete